Senior Environmental Scientist
|Industry||Industrial – Manufacturing|
Large industrial company based in Dublin.
- Reporting directly to the MD, responsible for all environmental issues
Main duties & responsibilities
- The collection of all relevant environmental data and the maintenance of a comprehensive database of data over time to inform consent processes and to provide a basis for measuring performance over time and trends.
- Analysis and reporting
- Identification and mitigation of potential future environmental problems
- Response to and management of environmental impact from accidents or incidents.
- Maintenance of certifications and management of the company’s environmental management system
- Environmental audits within functional areas and of tenants
- Engages key stakeholders including local communities and groups on environmental issues
- Supporting the personnel by reporting on/resolving process/technical issues.
- Objectives and targets for environmental improvement must be reviewed and updated regularly.
- Environmental audits must be planned and completed in collaboration with EHS specialists in the various functional areas
- Corrective actions and preventative actions (CAPAs) must be identified, recorded and acted on.
- Data on the consumption of non-renewable natural capital and on environmentally damaging emissions must be gathered and analysed in collaboration with colleagues
- Professionally represent the company in meetings with State / public bodies such as the EPA, ESPO and the BPA.
- NFQ Level 8 (or equivalent) science qualification in a relevant area
- Relevant Masters or doctoral qualification is desirable
- Ten years’ experience in a senior scientific role involving the measurement, analysis and reporting of environmental parameters.
- A record of preparing and presenting scientific reports and papers and actively participating in national and international organisations to identify and learn from best practice and keep abreast with current up to date thinking.
- An ability to authoritatively make scientific research and findings relevant and accessible to non-scientific audiences.
- Knowledge and experience in managing environmental management systems to recognised standards such as
- An understanding and belief in the Natural Capital approach to compensate for the consumption of non-renewable resources and environmental degradation caused by port operations and development